Introduction to Heroin Detox Methods
Heroin Detox generally takes one week time to complete depending on the person’s mental health, physical health and age. Heroin Detox can be done either at home or at rehabiliation centres. It is advisable to undergo heroin detox in rehab centres over home for safety reason and better health. The addicts might face seizure during withdrawal because of dehydration. So it is essential to stay hydrated and well nourished by consuming nutrient dense food in small quantities. High fiber food and green vegetables helps to speed up the metabolism and ensure there is no seizure.
How long does heroin stay in your system urine varies from individual to individual. The heroin retention duration varies depending on various factors like age, height, weight, genetics, body fat content, amount taken, drug quality, hydration, metabolism rate and health of liver and kidneys.
- Process Involved in Heroin Detox at Rehab Centres
There are few steps involved in Detoxing the body from Heroin at the rehab centres. It takes about seven days time to completely get out of the heroin addiction. It may take a few extra days as well.
Days 1-2 : The addict gets physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms as mentioned above within the first six hours. they get anxious, frustrated, nausea, diarrhea, fever. They get uncomfortable.
Day 3-5 : The physical withdrawal symptoms peak and they feel terrible pain in their body. Due to the lack of drug in their body they experience restlessness and anxiety. But they will be able to think a little clear than before.
Day 6-7+ : Physical symptoms would have completely stopped. Anxiety might fluctuate and they get depressed. Then the patient is sent to rehab centre for a therapy.
Heroin Detox at Home
Here are some methods that can be followed if the heroin addicts is looking for detox at home itself.
- It takes about one week time to detox completely from the addiction. Take a complete week off from work for the detox schedule. This provides no interference.
- Take potassium rich food like banana everyday to reduce the muscle pain that comes as withdrawal symptoms.
- Take vitamins and minerals supplements every other day during the detox schedule.
- Take tablets for diarrhea problems during these days if you have that as a withdrawal symptom.
- To ease and reduce the muscle aches take hot water bath quite frequently. This encourages a comfortable sleep to your body with muscle pain.
- Take sleeping pills to induce sleep. Gradually reduce and topple off the pill, otherwise you get dependant on it. Stop the pill completely by day four.
- Last but not least, at the end of the detox, go for group counseling or therapy at the rehab centre which will help you not go back to taking heroin and get addicted back again.